Sunday, February 22, 2009

Final Journal-brief summary

I'm sad to say that this is my last journal entry for Muti-Ethnic reporting. I can't believe how fast these seven weeks have gone by. Each class meeting was an interesting experience that I am glad I was able to have. I feel more open-minded and prepared to talk about and cover the topics we spoke about in class, such as: race, gender, sex, religion, etc. 


I think Professor Reisner did a great job teaching this class and I understand now why it's his favorite class to teach. I don't think anyone else could have done a better job at getting through to us and getting us to speak, as openly as we did. 


I must admit that I was nervous to voice my opinion at first but Professor Reisner's teaching manner helped me along the way to open up more in class, my journals and in my listening post. I don't think the class would have been as interesting or engaging had people not shared their opinions and thoughts openly in class discussions. I think it gave us all an opportunity to learn from each other and learn to ask questions. 


One of the most important things I learned from this class is to be prepared by doing your homework and research before going to do a story or interview on something or someone you know nothing about. You want the person who you are interviewing to believe you have a genuine interest in what they are saying; you don't want them to think that you have no idea what you're taking about. 


Yes, it is pretty much common sense to do research before you do an interview but this crucial advise from professor Reisner really stood out to me when I completed my interview with the owner of the barber shop I visited for my listening post. He was impressed with my interview, commented on how well prepared I was and mentioned that I really did my homework.


The class really gave me the hands on experience and confidence, through the listening posts, to go out there and report. Report on everything and anything, not just on topics I am comfortable with. It's not about being comfortable; it's about getting out there and learning from people's stories and life experiences. 


We are journalists; we're supposed to ask questions, lot's of questions. THERE’S NO SUCH THING AS A STUPID QUESTION!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment